Washington Fire Company No. 2
(104 W. Third Street – Click to View Map)
Built just three years after the Twos formation in 1845, this brick engine house is located on West Third Street near West Street. It is the first and only home of the Washington Fire Company, the second volunteer fire company formed in Madison (read more in history).
Oldest Active Firehouse in America
The Two’s have one of the last remaining Greek Revival firehouses in the US that is still actively used. And, it is the oldest purposely-built active fire station in the US, after the Hudson, NY fire department recently closed its 1839 station. In the firehouse design, the long, narrow building plan allowed adequate room on the ground floor to store fire equipment and comfortably stable the horses that pulled 19th-century fire pumps and engines. The upper story was designed as a common area for the company’s meetings and social events.
The bell tower was once enclosed by a massive wooded louvered cupola which has since been removed.
Click on any photo below to view the gallery of photos.
1947 American LaFrance 700 Series Pumper – 750gpm/300gal
This American LaFrance pumper served Washington Fire Company No. 2 from 1947-1964.
1964 American LaFrance 900 Series Pumper – 1250gpm/300gal
This American LaFrance Pumper served the WFC #2 from 1964-1979. The Two’s pay homage to its past by having the original nickel-plated number “2” and fire bell that served on the first steam apparatus mounted on the current 1994 Seagrave Marauder Pumper.