Western Fire Company No. 3
(815 W. Main Street – Click to View Map)
Western Fire Company No. 3 was established in May 1853 for fire protection in the west side of Madison. The original firehouse, built in 1851, was located on Main Street next to Lydia Middleton Elementary School. Years later, the Threes relocated to their present day station a few blocks west on Main Street.
The Threes was the first fire company in Madison to break away from the traditional red fire apparatus. In 1939 they purchased a Seagrave that was white with gold lettering. Their motto, “We Strive to Save”, is presently featured in a gold leaf logo on their fire engine with hand-painted murals on the doors.
The company acquired a small Civil War cannon in the 1800s, which was named “Old Smoky”. For years the Threes fired the cannon on July 4 to celebrate their country’s freedom. Today the war cannon is stored inside the firehouse.
Click on any photo below to view the gallery of photos.
1963 Seagrave Pumper 1000gpm/300gal
This truck served Western Fire Company No. 3 from 1963-1979. This was followed by two other Engines including a 1989 Spartan/Darley Pumper and their current 2004 Pierce Dash Engine.